Temporary Lives Photo

Temporary Lives Photo
Photographer: Jaana Tihtonen

3.08.2014

Interview with Rumpa Saha - choreographer, actress, organizer!

Rumpa Saha is a dance teacher, choreographer, and performer. To make Temporary Lives come true, she is acting out not only as one of the organizers, but also as a choreographer and an actor in one of the leading roles of the play.

Born in India, Rumpa Saha has studied many different styles of Indian dances like Bharatnatyam, Odissi and Manipuri, just to name a few. Rumpa got a senior diploma in classic Indian dance after 10 years of studies. After coming to Finland in 1996, she continued to study different styles of dances like Salsa, Flamenco, Hip hop, Afro, and the list goes on... Feels like there is no style of dance that she wouldn't know! She has graduated from the Finnish Zodiak Center for New Dance. She studied to be a cosmetologist and hairdressers as well, and opened her own beauty salon in Helsinki. Rumpa is continuously learning and teaching new things. Dance is not just a hobby, for her, it’s a way of life.
Rumpa Saha in the role of Nandini.

Tell me a little bit about yourself!

- I completed a degree in Kathak and Tagor dance at the age of 17, and continued learning, performing and teaching dance in my hometown in India. At the moment I am living in Finland, I am working as the chairman of the Royal Bollywood Dance Group, and a board member of Kassandra, a multicultural center of the arts. I won the Queen of Hearts, an international beauty contest held in Helsinki 2013. 

What brought you to Finland?

- In 1996, I came to Finland because of family matters. Since then, my dream was to teach and spread Indian culture thru dance. I have also given lectures in schools and dance performances in various places. In 2008, I started the Royal Bollywood Dance Group. Many members from the group have developed into professional performers. One of the goals of the dance group has been to build up a network of friends for people who come to Finland the first time, and might experience various cultural shocks in the Finnish society. The main point of the dance group is to enjoy yourself and respect your own culture. For this reason we never perform in pubs, hotels or restaurants, only in cultural and private events.
Other than dance, Rumpa tells that she has made several TV appearances in Finland and India. On YLE, she has interviewed Sofi Oksanen, and hosted The School of life on TV7. With everything going on in her life, I wondered how she finds the energy to handle it all and her part in Temporary Lives!

What are your hopes concerning this new project, the play Temporary Lives?

- My dream is that all goes well, and that Indian culture gets visible in the Finnish society.

Have you worked in a project like Temporary Lives before?

- Working with 50 people and to make everything run is a challenge in itself, also considering that most of the project's funds come from sponsors. As one of the organizers, it’s definitely a big responsibility and role to carry.

You have your own beauty salon, dance group and family. Where do you get the energy and motivation for everything?
- It's true I’m really busy. At the moment, besides my work, I have this project and other projects on the side. I’m a single parent and the head of the home. My life is, and has been challenging also because of Chondromalacia patellae that I’ve had already for 17 years. Of course my child gives me motivation, and I like working in customer service. Dancing is my way of relaxing and it gives me more energy to carry on.

Do you have any dreams for the future?
- I have a beauty salon, which was a dream of mine for a long time. I am specialized in India and Finland as a hairdresser and makeup artist. My salon is called Rosria Crystal Beauty and it is located in Helsinki.

More info on Rumpa SahaRoyal Bollywood Dance Group and Rosria Crystal Beauty Salon

Interview by Pia Grundström
Picture by Jaana Tihtonen

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti